Oh man you got a ring on your finger. It just got real. As a Utah wedding photographer, engagement sessions are one of my absolute favorite sessions to shoot. We basically hang out for an hour in some super awesome location and you two get to be your cute selves – laughing and snuggling and I get to capture it all. Win. Win. Win. Win. However, I know that getting engagements done can seem a little stressful so here are 7 tips to help you be as flawless as Beyonce.
1. Location: Think about what kind of location you want. What kind of vibe are you going for? Mountains, beachy, woods, city, in-home. Is there a particular location that is meaningful to you two as a couple? Whether you have a place in mind or you need suggestions – I’m here for ya!
2. Lighting: The type of light we shoot in can affect the feel of the images. What type of images draw you in – and what is the light like? Do you like golden hour, overcast, mid-day, indoor, sunrise? Although we’re obviously not in control of Mother Nature, choosing a specific time of day with the light in mind can help to create images you’re in love with!
3. Outfits: My couples typically choose two outfits. One casual outfit and one that’s a little bit more dressy. When choosing your outfits it’s important to consider a few things. First, do your outfits make sense with the location you’ve chosen? You don’t want to be wearing high heels and a short skirt if we’re going to need to do some hiking. Second, do your outfits coordinate with each other? Do they make sense together? Third, and most important, ARE YOU COMFORTABLE? Wear outfits that you are comfortable and feel good in! If you’re uncomfortable, you’ll be that way the entire session and that can make it hard to focus on having fun. The last little note is to remember that you may want to re-think wearing crazy patterns or bright colors because they can distract from your cute faces!
4. Hair and Makeup: If you’re a total pro and feel comfortable doing your own makeup – or if you don’t wear any – feel free to totally skip this tip! However, if you want to go the extra mile for your engagement session, consider having your hair and makeup done by a professional. This can help to ensure that you feel and look your very best and you don’t have to stress about doing it yourself. It can also a chance for you to have a trial run with your hair and makeup artist before the wedding day!
5. Activity: Is there an activity that is special to you as a couple? Do you read together? Let’s go to a bookstore! Do you hike? Let’s head to the mountains! Do you play videogames and binge Netflix? Consider a cuddly in-home sesh! Adding that little extra can help make your session unique and memorable for the two of you.
6. Be True to You Boo: Your engagement session should reflect you and your love. It’s a mini celebration of the two of you having decided to do the dang thing! All the advice and all of the tips in the world are just that – advice. Take it or leave it. Whatever you do, make sure that your engagement session is your own.
7. Reach Out: Hi! Your friendly neighborhood photographer here. I am here for you! If you have any questions at all during the process – reach out to me! I am happy to give feedback on outfit options, help find your perfect location, give suggestions on a hair & makeup artist, or answer any other questions you may have. Just call me, beep me, if ya wanna reach me!